Sometimes we yearn for dishes that were served to us during our childhood years and one of the dishes that would make me crave endlessly even as an adult would be the simple meatball dish. Let me share with you my all time favorite MEATBALLS IN GRAVY recipe with lots of potatoes and carrots. It was another way my Mum managed to convince me to eat more vegetables when I was a kid. Well~ She succeeded! Haha!
300gms minced meat (chicken, pork, beef, lamb of your choice)
1 small onion (finely chop)
1 tbsp spring onion (finely chop)
1 tbsp corn flour (if chicken – half the amount)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 small onion (cut in wedges)
1 cup meat stock/water
3-4 tbsp mushroom sauce/vegetarian oyster sauce/oyster sauce
1 tbsp corn flour (mix with some water)
Salt & pepper to taste
2 big potatoes (remove skin, dice, deep fry until golden brown)
1 big carrot (remove skin, dice, blanch)
1 big tomato (remove seed, dice)
• Mix everything in Group A thoroughly and marinate in chiller for 30 minutes. Make into small even sized balls and place on a flat tray.
• Heat up enough oil in a wok and deep fry the diced potatoes until golden brown. Scoop and leave aside.
• With the same heated oil, deep fry the meatballs until brown. Scoop and leave aside.
• Filter the oil and leave about 1-2 tablespoons of oil in the wok.
• Saute your onion wedges until translucent.
• Add in the meat stock, mushroom sauce, salt and pepper to taste. (DO NOT make it too salty as the flavors from the meatballs would give it the adequate flavors)
• Thicken it slightly with some corn flour in water.
• Pour in everything in GROUP C (deep fried potatoes, blanched carrot dices, tomato dices) and deep fried meatballs and let it simmer in LOW fire for 2-3 minutes.
• Scoop up on a serving plate, garnish with some spring onions and serve with hot steaming rice.
YOU CAN CHECK HERE FOR MORE RECIPES.